The house was designed over generations to allow a feeling of intimacy, practicality and luxury in this hot climate – with high wooden beamed ceilings and thick ancient stone whitewashed walls. The house was built organically as three wings around a large central living room – which means that all the bedrooms have maximum privacy and peace.
The living room is 6 metres long, with a 5 metres high beamed ceiling – it is an exquisite room, with an ancient door 4 metres high and plenty of character. Can Frare is a rare treat. You can see this when you open the doors on a hot summers day and let the air flow. You can look down and have a scenic view of the estate and the Bay of San Antonio.
All the walls are:
- The original stone built.
- Three feet thick, and therefore, soundproof.
- Coated in Cal (whitewash made the traditional way from limestone).
- The hardwood beams high above are sabina and olive, coated in the oil of linseed.
- All products sourced locally.
The floor is a simple, traditional cement.
Please click here to read more about the history of Can Frare.